Posted on 18 September 2012
To enter, head to Cultivora’s Facebook Page and share your favorite spot in Brooklyn. Your recommendation can be from any category — eat, sleep, shop, party, explore, or a music venue. We’ll take your responses and compile them into a special edition Trouble & Bass travel guide, inspired by Drop the Lime’s Tour of Brooklyn.
You can double your chances of winning tickets by posting a photo of your recommended spot on Instagram with the hashtag #TBGuide. Make sure you’re following both @cultivora and @troubleandbass to be eligible.
As a bonus, Trouble & Bass is throwing in a Maximum Troublemaker Kit for the winner. Check it out, along with other T&B merchandise on their website. The contest will close on Tuesday, September 25 at midnight. Winners will be notified on Wednesday, September 26 via email.
And if you need some inspiration, watch our teaser trailer of Drop the Lime’s Tour of Brooklyn:
Posted on 10 August 2012
- Cultivora’s Catalpa NYC photos are now on Facebook! Read Laura Baker-Finch’s Catalpa recap then check out the Catalpa Facebook album, which includes Snoop Dogg (aka Snoop Lion), Girl Talk, Matt & Kim, TV On The Radio, The Black Keys, and more.
- NYC’s Afro-Punk Festival completed its lineup. The free Brooklyn event taking place August 25-26 will now feature TV On The Radio, Alice Smith, Sinkane, and more.
- New artists were also added to Jay-Z’s Made in America Festival. The lineup now includes Drake, Run DMC, The Hives, DJ Shadow, Gary Clark Jr., and more.
- While at the Portland stop of Mumford & Sons’ touring festival, Gentlemen of the Road, Katie Curran sent Cultivora a digital postcard.
- Marjana Jaidi is in San Francisco for Outside Lands this weekend. She documented her journey there with a three-part Road to Outside Lands series.
- Check out what was newly released this Tuesday, stream the new albums and singles, and watch select videos in the August 7 edition of Laura Baker-Finch’s New Music Tuesday.
- Global Citizen just launched a free, advocacy festival to take place September 29- Global Festival. The event aims to end global poverty with The Black Keys, Foo Fighters, Neil Young with Crazy Horse, and K’naan in Central Park.
- Last weekend, Jason Rezvan was in Chicago for Lollapalooza. When he returned to New York, he shared his Lolla tale with us.
- Beck was added to the Outside Lands Night Show schedule, which already included after-festival events with Of Monsters and Men, Sharon Van Etten, Andrew Bird, and more.
- If you still haven’t purchased your Electric Zoo tickets, you better get on it! $135 single day passes end tonight at midnight.
- If you are attending Outside Lands this weekend, make sure to check out all the events taking place in San Francisco for the festival. Also make sure you brush up on all the activities available within the festival to keep you engaged during set breaks.
- Yesterday, Laura Baker-Finch took the effort out of planning the perfect music filled week by sharing her curated list of the best NYC music events taking place this week, August 9-15.
Coming Up: Outside Lands takes place in San Francisco this weekend, check back with us early next week for Marjana Jaidi’s coverage and photos.
Posted in Cultivora, Festivals, Music News, New Music
Posted on 03 August 2012
- Last weekend, Laura Baker-Finch and Marjana Jaidi went to the inaugural Catalpa NYC, which took place on Randall’s Island. Check out Laura’s review of Catalpa to read about the event’s stormy debut and to see photos of the amazing artists who attended. Then head over to Cultivora’s Facebook for their Catalpa NYC Photo Album.
- Seattle’s Decibel Festival, which will take place September 26-30, added 30+ artists to their lineup of already over 130 performers. They also released the first wave of Decibel Afterhours parties.
- Jason Rezvan is in Chicago this weekend for Lollapalooza, check out his guide of what to do after Lolla ends each night.
- Cultivora found this week’s new music a bit underwhelming compared to the last few, but you can see what was released and decide for yourself with their New Music Tuesday: July 31 article.
- SXSW 2013 is now open for business! Start planning now with Cultivora’s revamped South By Southwest Travel Guide. Even though the event doesn’t take place until March, you’ll be glad you did.
- As always, Cultivora has your back for the best live music events in NYC this week with Laura Baker-Finch’s NYC Music Guide: August 2-8.
- This weekend, Lollapalooza in Chicago, HARD Summer in LA, and Osheaga in Montreal are taking place. Check out Cultivora’s festival guides for each and stay tuned for festival coverage next week.
Posted in Cultivora, Festivals, Music News
Posted on 27 July 2012
July 20-27 was a busy week at Cultivora, which means they have tons of new festival news to share.
- Laura Baker-Finch went to the inaugural Firefly Music Festival in Dover, Delaware, last weekend. Check out her festival coverage and head to Facebook for more of her festival photos.
- Catalpa NYC kicks off tomorrow on Randall’s Island. To prepare, take a look at the festival’s non-music activities, the pros and cons of the official mobile app, and plan your days with the artist schedule.
- If you’re in town for Catalpa, read Joseph Sunder’s guide to Downtown Manhattan Style - it has all the best stops for musicians to get suited up.
- Lollapalooza is also fast approaching. Cultivora has a Spotify playlist and a view at the festival’s mobile app as well as a look at Jason Rezvan’s overlapping sets dilema and why he thinks all festivalgoers should watch a part of Black Sabbath’s Lolla set.
- This past Tuesday, Cultivora’s office was flooded with new albums, EPs, singles, and videos to jam out to. In case you missed it, here’s what’s new and worth a listen this week.
- At a loss for what to do music-wise in NYC this July 27-August 1? Look no further than Cultivora’s NYC Music Guide – they’ve compiled all the best live music events in the city into one handy guide.
- Rose Mardit gave us a look at Detroit’s Backpack Music Festival – where techno and charity go hand-in-hand.
Coming Up: Australia’s Splendour In The Grass kicked off in Byron Bay today and will continue throughout the weekend. NYC’s Catalpa also takes place this weekend, check back with Cultivora next week for their photos and coverage.
Posted in Cultivora, Festivals, Live Music
Posted on 13 July 2012
Cultivora is back again this week to share what you may have missed in the music festival world.
- Glastonbury may have taken an Olympics-related hiatus this year, but if you want to attend the legendary UK festival in 2013, register now!
- The inaugural Firefly Music Festival starts in a week, and some options are still available for those wanting to attend or camp.
- In anticipation for Lollapalooza early next month, Jason Rezvan created a Lolla Spotify playlist for your streaming enjoyment.
- Tuesday was a day of new album releases and previews – Laura Baker-Finch gives us a taste of what was new and blasting in the Cultivora office, complete with streams and videos.
- Another NYC festival, Catalpa NYC, is on the horizon. As if we weren’t excited enough, they released their food vendor lineup. Yum!
- Cultivora’s NYC Music Guide saves the day again by compiling all the worthy live music events taking place this week, July 12-18.
- Cultivora and Catalpa NYC teamed up to give you a chance to win tickets to the July 28-29 festival - and it’s so easy to enter! Share this picture on Facebook OR Sign up here OR tweet this message @Cultivora (Just make sure you’re following both @Cultivora and @CatalpaNYC) – you can even triple your chances by entering all three ways!
Posted in Cultivora, Festivals, Music News
Posted on 06 July 2012
What’d you miss this week in the world of music festivals, you ask? Cultivora has your answer.
- French label Kitsuné released their Soleil Mix just in time for 4th of July BBQs and parties. But don’t fret, if you missed the free 3-day stream, you can still purchase the mix or stream the Kitsuné Soleil MiniMix by Moon Boots.
- Denmark’s Roskilde festival kicked off yesterday and will continue until July 8 with performances by Bjork, The Cure, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, and many more – you can stream select performances on their website.
- Laura Baker-Finch compiled a list of the top picks of live music events in New York City for July 5-11, which she’ll continue to do every Thursday all Summer long.
- Cultivora added a Festival Guide for Decibel, a 5-day festival of live performance, interactive multimedia art, and sound-technology based education taking place September 26-30 in Seattle.
Posted in Cultivora, Festivals, Music News
Posted on 29 June 2012
June 23-29 was a great week for music and music festivals, especially here in New York. Here’s what you missed, courtesy of the Cultivora team.
- Governors Ball Music Festival took place on NYC’s Randall’s Island last Saturday and Sunday. Check out Laura Baker-Finch’s recap and Marjana Jaidi’s photo highlights for Day 1 and Day 2.
- Gov Ball festivalgoers took part in Cultivora’s #GovBingo Instagram game, Samantids’ creative entries won her passes to next year’s festival.
- Cultivora compiled their first New York City Music Guide – a new series in which they sort through all the NYC event listings to provide you with the top live music picks each week.
- Marjana Jaidi captured an intimate Blue Note Jazz Festival performance at which Theophilus London performed “Lisa,” off his upcoming album, Rose Island.
- San Francisco’s Treasure Island Music Festival released their lineup, featuring headliners Girl Talk and The XX.
- Safa Jinje sat down with Linus Booth of Jokers of the Scene to talk about his latest monthly residency in Toronto, Legoblocks.
- Fool’s Gold, the Brooklyn-based record label, announced their full summer festival lineup for the Fool’s Gold Clubhouse along with the first monthly Clubhouse compilation.
- Cultivora created a festival guide for Australia’s Splendour In The Grass, a 3-day festival taking place July 27-29 in Byron Bay.
Coming up: Roskilde begins tomorrow, Saturday June 30, in Denmark and the first CBGB Festival, taking place July 5-8 across New York City, will kick off with a keynote address by Nirvana’s Krist Novoselic Thursday.
Posted in Cultivora, Music News
Posted on 22 June 2012
June is a busy month for music festivals, and this week was no exception. Here’s what you missed from the team at Cultivora.
- Last week, Marjana Jaidi took the tram around Amsterdam to collect insights for Mysteryland, a festival taking place August 25.
- Safa Jinje and Caroline Aksich represented Cultivora at Toronto’s North By Northeast (NXNE) from June 11-17 – here’s what they got up to.
- Earlier this week, New Music Seminar brought top players in every facet of the music industry to NYC’s Webster Hall, Marjana Jaidi and Jason Rezvan shared their highlights.
- Dimensions festival, the September sister festival of Croatia’s Outlook, released their first wave of Boat Parties.
- Governors Ball Music Festival takes place this weekend on NYC’s Randall’s Island. If you’re heading to the event, make sure to download the app, preview the food options, explore the activities, check out the other events this weekend, and get your game face on for #GovBingo.
- Also this weekend, the Metallica-curated Orion Music + More festival kicks off in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Posted in Cultivora, Featured, Festivals, Music News
Posted on 22 June 2012
The Governors Ball Music Festival kicks off tomorrow on NYC’s Randall’s Island, and we didn’t think we could be anymore excited. That is until Cultivora came up with their very own Instagram bingo game, #GovBingo, which will be held during the festival this weekend. The winner will receive a pair of tickets to next year’s Gov Ball.
The rules are simple: take pictures at the festival that correspond to the bingo board, and upload them using Instagram. You must hashtag your post with #GovBingo and the corresponding bingo square for it to count. (CLICK HERE for a full-sized version of the bingo board).
Every time you get a “bingo” pattern (see below), you will be entered to win a pair of tickets to Gov Ball 2013. The more bingos you get, the better your chances of winning. You can also increase your odds by sharing your Instagram posts on Twitter; just remember to use the hashtags so they can find your photos.
To be eligible, make sure you’re following @cultivora and @govballnyc on Instagram (and Twitter, if applicable). In order to enter the contest, you must have an Instagram account with public view settings.
#GovBingo will begin at 11am Saturday, June 23, and will end on Monday, June 25 at noon (in case there’s no cell service on Randall’s Island). Once the contest closes, the team at Cultivora will compile the bingo boards and announce the winner on Wednesday, June 27 via Instagram. Good Luck!
Posted in Contest, Cultivora, Festivals, Music News
Posted on 09 June 2012
The summer music festival season is officially upon us. Here’s what you missed this week on Cultivora:
- Bonnaroo is happening in Tennessee as we speak — if you’re driving to and from the festival and want to make a stop along the way, check out Cultivora’s mini-guide to Nashville.
- From June 11-17, North by Northeast (NXNE) will take over Toronto, serving up a week of music, film, and digital media. In anticipation, Safa Jinje profiled Toronto’s legendary music venue, Horseshoe Tavern.
- Pitchfork announced the initial lineup for the second edition of their Paris festival this November.
- Outside Lands revealed the mouthwatering lineup of food and wine for this year’s festival.
- The CBGB Festival, happening this July in New York City, announced Krist Novoselic of Nirvana as the keynote speaker, and added severable notable artists to the bill.
- Identity, North America’s premier touring EDM festival, is coming to an amphitheater near you this summer. Get the full list of tour dates and locations HERE.